Planned Giving & Stock Transfers
A Legacy of Families (picture of retiree age individual with child or family)
We invite you to discover the many ways you can support Spence-Chapin through planned giving. Spence-Chapin accepts gifts of stocks, bonds, and securities; we offer a Charitable Gift Annuity Program for retirees; and we accept all forms of bequests and legacy gifts. Your support ensures the generational sustainability of our programs and leaves a legacy of strong, vibrant, modern families!
Stocks & Bonds
Gifts of Stock, Securities, and Bonds can be transferred electronically to Spence-Chapin through the Depository Trust Company (DTC). Spence-Chapin works with Morgan-Stanley to process all gifts of stock, securities, and bonds.
Please fill out the stock transfer form below to make a stock gift. This form needs to be forwarded to Morgan-Stanley before you or your broker initiate a stock transfer. If you have any questions, contact Matthew Kaal in our development department by phoning 212-360-0263 or by fax 212-369-8589.
After receiving confirmation that the stock transfer form has been passed to Morgan-Stanley your broker or transfer agent can prepare delivery of your gift to Spence-Chapin’s account. The following directions should facilitate this part of transaction.
- Gift Destination: Spence-Chapin Services to Families & Children Account # 876-118542
- Depository Agent: Morgan Stanley; DTC # 015
You can find copies of a completed IRS W-9 Form (link to PDF) and an August 3rd, 2015 notice from the IRS District Director’s Unit verifying the tax exempt status of Spence-Chapin (Link to PDF) (TIN: 13-1834590)
Bequests and Estate Planning
You can make bequests of a specific dollar amount, specific assets (securities, real estate, and tangible personal property), or a percentage of the remainder of your estate after all other obligations (known as a “residuary bequest”). This is a thoughtful way to include Spence-Chapin in your legacy and ensure the long-term funding of our programs.
- The most useful type of bequests are unrestricted for the general purposes of the organization. This allows Spence-Chapin to use your gift wherever it is most needed at the time. If you would like to make an unrestricted bequest please specify that it is “unrestricted” or for “general operating expenses.”
- Spence-Chapin is happy to accommodate dedicated bequests for specific programs. Please let us know which of our programs you are most passionate about to learn more about their long-term funding needs and how to structure your gift most effectively.
Charitable Gift Annuities
A Charitable Gift Annuity is a simple contract between you and Spence-Chapin that provides you with an annuity, an annual fixed payment for life, in exchange for irrevocably transferring assets to the organization.
- Annuity Gifts are irrevocable gifts of cash, securities, or other assets.
- There is a $5,000 minimum amount for qualified annuity gifts.
- The amount paid in an annuity is based on the age(s) of the annuitant(s), in accordance with a rates schedule set by the American Council on Gift Annuities (LINK).
- Income can be paid out to one or two annuitants. The minimum age of an annuitant is 65.
- In most cases, a portion of each payment is tax-free, increasing each payment’s after-tax value.
- It is possible to defer receiving payments for a specified amount of time. This results in higher annuity payments and potentially higher tax-deductions(available the year you make the gfigt) allowing you to increase your retirement income.
- To learn more, read our Charitable Annuity information summary sheet (LINK) and Gift Annuity Disclosure Statement (LINK)
Spence-Chapin’s Charibale Gift Annuity Program is managed by Hemmenway & Reinhardt, INc. (LINK)
Please Contact our Fundraising and Development Coordinator, Matthew Kaal to learn more about this program and how charitable annuities benefits both Spence-Chapin and you.